

Being an Art Teacher, I have been looking forward to Audrey making her first marks on paper. I have taped a piece of paper down to her high chair and offered her a crayon a couple of occasions, but she had had no interest in doing much more than chewing on it or throwing it. Saturday morning Patrick was writting with a pen on a pad of paper and Audrey reached for the pen and made marks on the paper too! Seeing the opportunity, I went to my art cabinet, grabbed a piece of art paper, a box of crayons and some masking tape. I taped the paper to the floor to keep it still for her, gave her a purple crayon and we modeled making a mark for her. (Patrick made the circle...she's not quite there just yet:)). She started making her own marks and would lay the crayon down and came back to her drawing a few times adding more marks, practicing and learning that if she puts the crayon on the paper and moves it, it leaves a mark.....which is what early art experiences are all about....learning the cause and effect, the simple pleasure of "leaving your mark".
I am looking forward to years of fun with art with my Audrey.
I dated and wrote her age on the back of her paper and her first picture is hanging on her bulletin board in her playroom! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment