Wednesday, June 30, 2010

More Adventures in Baby Food!

Well, I attempted to introduce Audrey to yogurt yesterday.
NOT successful!
I have read several places that it's safe and healthy and even suggested that you introduce yogurt to your baby. Some people even do it as a first food....seems early to me, but whatever.
Anyway, I bought the Yobaby brand, which is special organic yogurt, just for babies.
Are you disappointed I didn't make my own!? I read about how to do it, looked at the picture instructions even, but decided that was not worth my time. And a lot of time it would have required...geez!

First of all, Audrey hated the taste of it, she gagged, made a funny face, closed her lips tight and turned her head....she wanted to make sure I knew she DID NOT want anymore of that.
So, I decided I would offer it to her again in a few days (they say sometimes you have to introduce foods up to ten times before a baby will decide they like it).
As I stirred some breastmilk into some oatmeal for her to have instead, she broke out in hives!
All over her chin and hands! Anywhere the yogurt touched!
Thankfully Daddy had just gotten home, so he took her bib off, undressed the girl and gave her some water from her sippy cup while I called the doctor and got a washcloth soapy to wash the offensive yogurt from her skin.
I left a message for the nurse, and we watched the her closely, and the hives went away within about 30 to 45 minutes, with no other type of reaction at all...
thank gosh!

The doctor says that she must have an allergy and to hold off giving her yogurt again until after her first birthday. I am considering holding off on all dairy until then....I had been thinking of giving her cheese soon, which is also suppose to be safe.

Unless your child is allergic and you don't know it, of course!

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! I know that scared you. Glad she is doing fine! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is just like her BFF across the street...:) I hope she is able to eat all dairy...what she would miss! Ice Cream is in her blood...just maybe a bit later..:)

    ReplyDelete